My friend Kaith  was featured yesterday in SunStar Cebu's Shopping Bag section, and as it turns out, we have and recommend the exact sa...

summer essentials

2:33 PM Joanna C. 0 Comments

My friend Kaith was featured yesterday in SunStar Cebu's Shopping Bag section, and as it turns out, we have and recommend the exact same favorite sunblocks. I thought I'd round up the other things that I've been constantly reaching for this summer.

Fragrance, sunblock, face stuff and lip stuff


Fragrances: Marc Jacobs Daisy Eau so Fresh, DKNY Be Delicious

Eau so Fresh is the lighter and fruitier EDT version of my favorite Daisy perfume. My dear old dad likes to gift me with a bottle of different versions of Daisy perfume every year even though I haven't used up my first one yet! The fragrance's notes are on the Sephora website.

Be Delicious is a recent purchase. This is quite a bit more subtle and mellow on me, which I love because it is different from other fragrances I own.

As you might gather from these picks, I do like light and fruity/floral fragrances, but nothing too sweet. I also have other fragrances on rotation for when the weather isn't as warm.

Because I don't always like to carry around these glass bottles with me when I'm out (especially the Eau so Fresh, which is 125ml), I often refresh throughout the day with a body mist by Bath & Body Works or Victoria's Secret that I transfer into purse-friendly plastic spritzers.

Favorite sunblocks

The leftmost Neutrogena one has SPF 30+ and  is part of a bundle of products I picked up on eBay. It's a hydrating one, so it does get a little oily after a few hours on my combination skin. I love the Neutrogena Dry-Touch sunblock in the middle because it's not heavy or sticky at all. I have it in SPF 30+ for day to day and SPF 55 for days when I know I'm going to be under the sun a lot, like at the beach. 

I received the Belo sunblock spray in a gift bag from a Zee Lifestyle event. It has SPF 50 PA+++ and it's great for easy application. It delivers a good, even spray also upside down. I tried it on both face and body and it makes skin feel super soft after it's completely dry.


Face essentials

I do still use some lightweight matte foundations in the summer, and my favorite BB cream is still the Rimmel 9-in-1 Skin Perfecting Super Makeup, but this Revlon Photoready BB Cream in Medium works best with my current tan. Since it has SPF 30, I don't apply moisturizer or sunblock anymore. I feel that this works best for dry skin. It does get pretty greasy after a few hours on my T-zone, but I'm working on using it up since it's the only BB cream I have in a darker shade.

This is my second jar of Maybelline Pure mineral foundation, and I love it for summer because it evens out skin and helps control oil without looking made up at all. Mine is in the shade Beige Ochre 2, which is a little darker than my usual skin tone, but I repurchased this especially for summer when I know I'm going to be tan and don't want to wear a lot of heavy makeup. I used up my first jar when I was still at my luxury resort job, and I was impressed with how well it stayed on even after a whole day under the sun.

My holy grail allover bronzer is this bronzing powder in shade 2 from The Body Shop. It's perfect for complimenting a tan all over the face, since it's not too orange nor too muddy. I'm not sure if they have this product in store here, since it was gifted to me by my aunt from Canada.

I've found the Ben Nye powders to be the absolute best I've tried for setting makeup. I also have it in Buff and a sample size of Neutral from my MUA friend Khymm. Because Buff is too light for me right now and I have both the small jar and big jar of the Banana powder (practically a lifetime supply because you don't need much), I use Banana everyday. I use it with a makeup sponge on my undereyes to set concealer,  and on my nose and center of the forehead where I tend to really work up an oil slick. For all over the face, I shake a little bit onto my Fanny Serrano two-way face cake and dust it on with a large powder brush.

In trying to rotate my lip products, I try to reach for a different lipstick or gloss everyday, but the Maybelline Baby Lips Color in Neon Rose and Alba Terra Tints in Blaze are great for just a hint of color. I got the Maybelline one for P99 in Watson's and the Terra Tints one in Healthy Options for something like P130. Both are moisturizing, not the kind of lip balm that just sits on your lips, but Terra Tints has SPF 15 while Maybelline doesn't.

Swatches: Maybelline Baby Lips in Neon Rose, Alba Botanica Terra Tints in Blaze, Maybelline Pure mineral foundation in Beige Ochre 2, The Body Shop bronzing powder in shade 2,
Revlon Photoready BB Cream in Medium

What are your summer essentials? If you live in a hot and humid area like I do, I would love to hear your recommendations.

Also, I've changed the URL of this blog from Azullejo to Beauty Enthusiast Cebu, to make it more cohesive with my weekly column in SunStar. I first named it Azullejo because I also wanted to blog about travel, but I haven't gotten around to that just yet!