After seeing these beautiful golden tubes all over Instagram, I couldn't contain myself from getting one of these much-hyped-about YSL R...

Review and swatch: YSL Rouge Volupte Silky Sensual lipstick in 29 Rose Opera

8:59 PM Joanna C. 1 Comments

After seeing these beautiful golden tubes all over Instagram, I couldn't contain myself from getting one of these much-hyped-about YSL Rouge Volupte Silky Sensual lipsticks. Mine is in the shade number 29 or Rose Opera.

YSL Rouge Volupte Silky-Sensual Radiant lipstick in 29 Opera Rose

The packaging is definitely a show-stopper. Nothing cheap or flimsy about it; you definitely feel very luxurious when you're applying or touching up this lipstick. I love using this on formal occasions where you should look chic while touching up at the table.

Swatch: YSL Rouge Volupte lipstick in 29 Opera Rose

29 Opera Rose is a neutral medium pink that I think would be flattering on many skin tones. This is a single stroke, so color payoff is quite good...on the arm, at least.


Swatch: YSL Rouge Volupte lipstick in 29 Opera Rose

This lip swatch required two layers because I couldn't get the full color payoff on my lips with just one. Also, two layers helps it look more even. With only one layer, it actually kind of settles into lips and enhances lines.

It glides on very easily and has a glossy finish, and feels light on the lips. It feels more like a lip gloss than a lipstick. However, staying power is no more than three hours, and it's just gone after eating. It doesn't leave a stain, so reapplication is needed throughout the day.

With all the buzz that it gets on social media, I was expecting a lot more from this lipstick. Many local online sellers sell these lipsticks for P1,600 to P1,800 each. At that price, it's honestly not worth it. But I asked a friend of mine to buy this for me at the airport in Singapore and I only paid a little over P1,100 for mine, which is not too bad considering it's YSL and a MAC lipstick costs P1,000 at the counter in Rustan's. If you can get this lipstick for a good price then try it for the luxury - the packaging really is to die for - but for similar creaminess and better staying power, I would recommend MAC Cremesheen lipstick or Milani Color Statement lipstick instead.