I'm back "for the first time in forever," to borrow a line from Disney's Frozen. I'm terrible about blogging because I...

Review and swatches: NYX Butter lipstick in Fireball, Hunk, Licorice

9:12 PM Joanna C. 4 Comments

I'm back "for the first time in forever," to borrow a line from Disney's Frozen. I'm terrible about blogging because I was too lazy to take and upload photos with my old digicam, but now that I have my iPhone 5S, taking pictures has become much easier. For more regular beauty updates, follow me on Instagram @cuencojoanna.

After seeing quite a few positive reviews from American beauty vloggers, I became curious to try out NYX Butter lipsticks. I decided to get mine in Fireball (BLS06), Hunk (BLS05) and Licorice (BLS11) to veer away from my usual pink and red selections. Photos below were taken in natural light.


NYX Butter Lipsticks (L-R) Fireball, Hunk, Licorice

I would call the packaging more fun than chic. I do like that the tubes match the color of the lipstick inside so that it's easy to see what I'm reaching for.

Swatches (L-R): Fireball, Hunk, Licorice

These are swatches on the inside of my wrist, one swipe per lipstick. You'll notice that the opacity isn't the same. Hunk is quite a bit more sheer compared to Fireball and Licorice. It also had a little bit more streakiness than the other two shades.


Lip swatch: NYX Butter Lipstick in Fireball (BLS06)

Fireball looks quite orange in the tube but goes on coral on me. It's a very pretty shade for spring and summer, but it has the tendency to settle into lip lines. Make sure lips are super smooth before putting this one on.

Lip swatch: NYX Butter Lipstick in Hunk (BLS05)

I was the most skeptical about Hunk because it looks like a pretty scary shade of electric violet from the tube. But because it goes on sheer, it's actually super pretty. This did not settle into my lip lines the way Fireball did.

Lip swatch: NYX Butter Lipstick in Licorice(BLS11)

Licorice is not the kind of shade I usually pick up, but as I was trying to get out of my red/pink lipstick comfort zone, I decided to try this one out. Among the three, this was the truest to its shade on the packaging and from the bullet. It's quite a vampy burgundy color that I think looks great at night (or day, as you please). Because of the slippery formula, though, be careful when applying this one. This probably needs a lip liner more than the other two shades.

All of these lipsticks are a little slippery and have a rather thin formula, so they glide on easily when being applied. Their somewhat glossy finish after initial application doesn't last long. But I like that the lipsticks leave a stain, Hunk and Licorice more so than Fireball. Fireball began to fade after two hours, while Hunk and Licorice left stains for over four hours. I wouldn't call these lipsticks particularly moisturizing even though they are slippery, but they aren't drying at all.

Overall, these lipsticks are all quite comfortable to wear and have a great range of colors, but some settling does occur, and pigmentation and staying power vary between shades.

I bought these lipsticks from Instagram seller @beautylabbyjoan, who has a lot of drugstore products on pre-order basis, and whom I've purchased from several times hassle-free. There is already a NYX store in SM City Cebu, but I must confess I haven't been there yet. I haven't really done a lot of shopping at the mall in quite some time. 

I hope you found this review helpful, and I hope I can find the discipline to blog more regularly!