Lately, the weather's been 30-something Celsius with over 70% humidity, making it feel several degrees hotter than it really is. Some wo...

Products to prevent makeup meltdown

9:37 PM Joanna C. 0 Comments

Lately, the weather's been 30-something Celsius with over 70% humidity, making it feel several degrees hotter than it really is. Some women may choose to simply give up makeup with this kind of heat and humidity. Most of the time, as mentioned in my previous post, I just go with BB cream and mineral powder foundation. But, being the makeup junkie that I am, I can't go without playing with eyeshadows and other makeup for an entire season!

I've been relying on primers to help my makeup stay put. Here's a roundup of my favorites:

Primers for face and eyes


Face primers: Maybelline Baby Skin pore eraser, The Balm Time Balm,
Monistat chafing relief powder gel

A lot of vloggers rave about how fantastic the Maybelline Baby Skin pore eraser is. I honestly don't see any difference in my pores when I use this, but I do like to use it as a primer. I noticed that my T-zone stayed more matte for an extra two or three hours as opposed to when I don't use it. Not bad for P300.

Time Balm is another product that a lot of people recommend. It does help makeup apply more smoothly and last longer, but I would recommend this more for normal to oily skin. It might be too dry for dry skin. If I remember right, I got this for around P895 at Beauty Bar. It is a little pricey, which is why I decided to try the Maybelline and Monistat for cheaper alternatives.

This Monistat gel is often compared to Smashbox primer. I've never used the Smashbox primer so I can't compare, but it feels very similar to Time Balm, although it has a more liquid consistency. I got this from a friend who gets stuff shipped from the US from time to time.

All three of these primers do work quite well at smoothing and mattifying skin and helping makeup stay in place longer, so the choice may depend on budget or accessibility. Time Balm does perform better than Baby Skin, but it's three times the price. Monistat, to me, is easiest to apply and performs similarly to Time Balm, but it's not readily available here.

Eye primers: Urban Decay Primer Potion, Benefit Cosmetics Stay Don't Stray,
Lorac Behind the Scenes

I have so many sample sizes of these Urban Decay primers because they often come free with their eyeshadow palettes. They do work best with Urban Decay eyeshadows, making them extra smooth to apply and also helps prevent creasing, but they also work well with other eyeshadows. 

I mentioned the Benefit Stay Don't Stray primer in my review on the Too Faced Chocolate Bar palette. I noticed that Stay Don't Stray works great at priming both eyeshadow and undereye concealer. Give this one a go if you're prone to creasing on upper and lower eyelids. I only have a mini one because it came in a set, but when I use up all my primers (which will be a while because I still have backups) I'm probably going to get this in a full size.

Lorac Behind the Scenes primer is also quite good and performs about the same as the Urban Decay primer potion. I got it free with one of my Lorac eyeshadow palettes.

Cream shadows: Maybelline Color Tattoo,
Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place shadow creme, Make Up Forever Aqua Cream

I've found that using a cream eyeshadow alone or under powder shadow is the best for making eye makeup last all day. All of these are crazy long-wearing. On me, they won't start to crease until maybe six hours of a busy day or partying. The Color Tattoos here, from top going clockwise, are Gold Shimmer, Audacious Asphalt, Barely Branded, Pomegranate Punk, and Tough as Taupe. I also have it in Test my Teal, which I won in a giveaway. All the colors are gorgeous. They're pretty thick in consistency so I prefer blending them with a finger than with a brush to help the product melt. Color Tattoos are finally available in Watsons for around P400, but I got most of mine online from bonmarchepage.com. 

My lone Estee Lauder and Make Up Forever cream shadows were purchased in Sydney, so I don't know where they can be found in Cebu. They are in Lilac Petals and Shade 16, respectively - a lavender and a pink, so I'm pretty set for the whole color spectrum!

I also use NYX Jumbo Pencils as primers, but I've found they don't hold up quite as well as these ones in the current weather. For the cream shadows here, especially the Make Up Forever one, you're going to need a separate eye makeup remover. In my experience, they're so budge-proof that traces will still be left on eyelids even after washing the face.

Urban Decay All Nighter and De-slick makeup setting sprays

When I'm done with all my makeup and know that I'm going to have a long day (or night) I set it with either of these sprays by Urban Decay. They really do help set makeup and keep me oil-free for longer. I've had people ask me "Why are you still so matte??" when I use these and it's really humid. I definitely do still get greasy, but these sprays are life (and makeup) savers. The only annoying thing I've found with De-slick is that it tends to get kind of gross and cakey after several hours on my the oiliest parts of my forehead like near my eyebrows, so bust out that oil control film when this happens.

These products will help makeup last longer and keep oil at bay, but I'm not sure there's any way to completely melt-proof your makeup if you're having a particularly busy day or evening with weather like this. Always carry good old tissues and oil control film with you to lift sweat and oil.