What girly girl wouldn't love an eyeshadow palette that looks and smells like a chocolate bar? For someone like me who could never choos...

Review and swatches: Too Faced Chocolate Bar eyeshadow palette

12:26 AM Joanna C. 2 Comments

What girly girl wouldn't love an eyeshadow palette that looks and smells like a chocolate bar? For someone like me who could never choose between a love for makeup and sweets, this seemed like the perfect combination!


Too Faced Chocolate Bar eyeshadow palette

Such adorable packaging, with the cute box and metal tin!
Comes with a how-to guide.

The carton box says this on the back: "Indulge your craving for chocolate with these 16 antioxidant-rich cocoa powder infused matte and shimmer shades. Inspired by our best-selling cocoa powder based Chocolate Soleil Bronzer, Chocolate Bar comes with our signature Glamour Guide with three beauty looks to get you started."

Get a whiff of chocolate when you open the box. Mmm.

This palette has 16 eyeshadows. 14 are .95 grams while two are 2.8 grams. 

Left side of the palette

Right side of the palette.
(The smudge on the largest pan was already there when I opened it.)

Left side of the palette.
(L-R) Gilded Ganache, Salted Caramel, Hazelnut, Marzipan, Creme Brulee, Semi-sweet, Haute Chocolate

Closer look: Gilded Ganache, Salted Caramel, Hazelnut, Marzipan

Closer look: Marzipan, Creme Brulee, Semi-sweet, Haute Chocolate

Right side of the palette.
(L-R) Milk Chocolate, Strawberry Bon Bon, Cherry Cordial, Black Forest Truffle,
Candied Violet, Triple Fudge, Amaretto

Closer look: Milk Chocolate, Strawberry Bon Bon, Cherry Cordial, Black Forest Truffle

Closer look: Candied Violet, Triple Fudge, Amaretto

These are the shadows in the two larger pans.
(L-R) White Chocolate, Champagne Truffle

I did these swatches with two swipes from the pan on the pads of clean fingers, before doing one swipe each on the inside of my arm. The outer packaging says this has "matte and shimmer shades," but to me it actually has matte, shimmery and sparkly textures.

Matte: Salted Caramel, Semi-Sweet, White Chocolate, Milk Chocolate, Strawberry Bon Bon, Triple Fudge
Shimmery: Gilded Ganache, Hazelnut, Marzipan, Creme Brulee, Haute Chocolate, Amaretto, Champagne Truffle
Sparkly: Cherry Cordial, Black Forrest Truffle, Candied Violet

Although the matte shades swatched poorly, White Chocolate, Milk Chocolate and Triple Fudge were fairly pigmented and blendable when I used them with a brush on my eyelids. The shimmery shades like Marzipan and Hazelnut were wonderfully smooth, buttery, and pigmented. As of this writing, I have not yet used any of the sparkly shades.(I will update this post once I have.) The shades that I did use lasted nine hours before the first sign of creasing, although I'm not sure how much my Benefit Stay Don't Stray primer had to do with that. I am quite impressed, considering it was 31 degrees Celsius today with over 70% humidity.

For the other shades I haven't mentioned, I haven't used all of them yet, but based on the swatches I think they will probably deliver the same way as they swatch.

As you can see, the palette has a range of cream, brown, pink and purple shades. I think one grayish shade couldn't have hurt; gray veers a little from the chocolatey theme, but so does Gilded Ganache, which is a khaki green with gold shimmer. But I still love all the beautiful colors that went into this palette.

The only thing I wish Too Faced had done differently with this palette was the labeling. I wish they had put the names of the shadows on fine print by the pans, instead of just on the box and on the printed plastic insert. This palette is also a little thick and isn't the handiest to tote around, but you might still want to, just to have its cuteness and chocolatey smell close at hand!

Overall I'm very happy with this palette for its range of textures, smoothness and blendability during application, and the range and wearability of its colors. And again, the adorable packaging and luscious smell!

I purchased this palette for P2,700 from Karryl @makeuplush on Instagram, whom I regularly buy from as she's a former school mate, very nice and easy to deal with, and regularly ships about twice a month from the US, so she's always got new and fresh products.

What do you think of this palette? Do share your thoughts if you've got one as well.