For years, I have been obsessed with casual curls. I already own two curling irons, but my one-inch Watson's one doesn't heat up, an...

Review: Nova Easy Curl curling iron

3:14 PM Joanna C. 0 Comments

For years, I have been obsessed with casual curls. I already own two curling irons, but my one-inch Watson's one doesn't heat up, and the curls it creates don't last long. My Conair one at 1.25 inches is too big for my currently mid-length hair.

I am loving the Nova Easy Curl curling iron for my curly-haired ambitions!


It has this plastic outer shell with slats that fit your hair while you're winding strands around the wand. It also has a clip towards the bottom, but I don't use this; it kind of makes me nervous thinking my hair will somehow get tangled in it and burn off. Eek!



Take note that the plugs are rounded. Our electrical sockets at home are flat, but I have an adaptor, so this was no problem.

To use, press the power button and give it 5-10 minutes to heat up. Make sure it's hot enough so that it will actually create a curl; otherwise you'll just be applying heat to your hair without results.

I wind sections of my hair around the wand, hold it in place for 10 seconds, then let go. The plastic shell really helps prevent burns. I can't count the number of times I've gotten (mildly) burnt from a bare curling wand. I'm also really glad this is not a heavy wand. Doing curls on yourself does require some arm strength, holding the iron with one hand while winding hair with the other!


Casual curls made easy!

To achieve different-sized curls, just use bigger or smaller sections of hair. This makes the overall look less fussy and more relaxed. Don't forget to alternate directions when winding the hair; doing them all in one direction will make it look too perfect and doll-like. Nothing casual about that!

My hair is thick and has a combination of natural textures - straighter on the top layers and wavier on the bottom. It unfortunately doesn't hold curls very well. While testing this, it was really important for me to see how long the curl would hold. Surprisingly, although the curls loosened after a couple of hours, my waves were still there 12 hours after curling! This was with second-day hair, no styling products used.

The Nova easy curl is available for P465 at @theainstashop on Instagram; less than what I spent for my other two curling irons. It was sent to me for my review. I do not review sponsored items that I do not like because I don't want to say something bad about a free item; this one, I love! This is a styling tool that's easy to use even for beginners, and impressive especially at this price.