Since we went into community quarantine nearly a year and a half ago, I've been experimenting with different reusable masks because I do...

Is it worth it? Reviewing the NxtGen mask

4:59 PM Joanna C. 0 Comments

Since we went into community quarantine nearly a year and a half ago, I've been experimenting with different reusable masks because I don't want to add more waste to our landfills. I encountered issues with several fabric masks I bought online: too big, too hot, so unbreathable they made me dizzy, so muffled that the cashier at the supermarket couldn't understand what I was saying.

My friend Mike Acebedo Lopez was the first to tell me about the NxtGen mask, but when I checked the price online (it was P5,000 at the time), I backed off.

Months later, I was fortunate enough to receive the NxtGen mask from PR. After wearing it for a few weeks and being able to appreciate its benefits, we bought another one from nxtgen.ph.

This below was the clincher for deciding to buy another mask. Look at the dirty filter on the left, compared to the new one on the right.
Left: Filter after about 15 days of use.

I work in real estate, which involves going to construction sites, warehouses, and open fields. It's a lot of dust and a lot of walking, so I really need a mask that can withstand the dust, the sweat, and the cardio, and the NxtGen has been able to put up with it all.

NxtGen masks come with medical grade HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filters, which means they can filter even tiny particles. NxtGen filters are reusable for about 30 days, but as you can see, they may need to be replaced sooner with heavy use.

The NxtGen mask is made of medical grade silicone so it fits snugly on the face. Since it's silicone, it's lightweight and washable. If I'm out the whole day, I'll wipe off the mask with alcohol and tissue if I take it off to eat or drink, but I always wash it with soap and water when I get home. 

Because it's lightweight and breathable, I'm not muffled when I'm talking. I'm not further out of breath by my mask even if I have to climb up and down several flights of stairs in buildings under construction. I have worn it without issues while brisk walking outdoors.


I did change out the original ear strap of the NxtGen, which is designed to wrap around your head and the back of the neck to prevent pain from ear loops. I found it personally annoying because the elastic wraps around the head like a visor, and no matter how tightly I fastened it, it would still slip down. 

Instructions from nxtgen.ph

I don't think other people have had issues; this is just my personal preference. I'm not prone to pain from ear loops anyway, so I just changed out that part and I'm happier for it.

NxtGen masks and filters are currently on sale on nxtgen.ph and immediately available in Cebu, so you may want to check it out if you also need a high-performance mask. If you are really staying home most of the time or only go out for brief / important errands, you may not need this. But if you are perhaps a triathlete, in the medical field, in construction, or other industry where you are exposed to a lot of allergens and cannot afford any sort of hampered breathing, then the NxtGen mask is a worthy investment for your health as part of your PPE (Personal Protective Equipment).