I've previously shared how I pack toiletries and cosmetics when I'm traveling. It might be weird to some, but it actually takes me ...

Travel makeup kit: September 2014

9:22 PM Joanna C. 2 Comments

I've previously shared how I pack toiletries and cosmetics when I'm traveling. It might be weird to some, but it actually takes me more consideration when it comes to figuring out what cosmetics to bring, as opposed to what clothes to pack. Is anyone else the same way?

It's very easy to overpack makeup and bring a bunch of things you don't end up using. I felt I was pretty successful with how I packed my makeup bag for a four-day visit to Manila in September, because I did end up using everything I brought. Here's what was inside my kikay kit for that trip (some items not in photo):


* Kiehl's Actively Correcting and Beautifying BB cream with SPF 50. Instead of bringing a separate sunscreen, moisturizer, and foundation, I hit three birds with one stone with this. I was really glad I had made sure to bring my BB cream with the highest SPF and good coverage, because it was so hot the weekend I was there.

* MAC Studio Fix powder foundation. I brought my highest-coverage and longest-wearing powder foundation so that it was easy for me to touch up throughout the day, without having to bring a separate foundation and finishing powder.

* MAC Studio Sculpt concealer. I also chose the longest-wearing one I own, because I knew I'd be out for most of the time I was there.

* Brow stuff. I took The Face Shop Design My Eyebrow pencil, Wet n Wild Ultimate Brow Kit brow powder, and MAC Beguile brow gel. I could have brought only my Anastasia brow pomade to cover the functions of all three of these products, but it takes time and precision to apply. I knew I wouldn't have as much time to do my face in the morning before I headed out, and I was right. When you know you might be in a bit of a rush, bring your everyday makeup with you since you know your daily brow routine by heart. I also brought my can't-do-without Ever Bilena tweezers.

* NYX Cosmetics powder blush in Dusty Rose. I took just one in a pink shade that wasn't too bright, so that it would go with any eye or lip colors I brought, and in a long-wearing formula as well.

* NYC Sunny bronzer. I brought this one that I like to use everyday because it's matte and isn't too orange or too dark, just to give my face a bit of allover color and lightly contour my cheeks at the same time.

* MAC Cream Colour Base in Hush. I used this as a brow bone highlight. I also applied it after powder blush as a highlight on cheeks. Other times, I used it before powder blush to help it stay in place longer, which proved to be really helpful in Manila's heat, and gave a pretty glow at the same time. This is one of those products that I don't use nearly often enough, so I'm really glad I brought it on this trip.

* Eyeliner. I brought a liquid one in pen form (Rimmel), a black pencil (MAC Ebony), and a dark brown pencil (MAC Lord It Up). I wanted options for whatever mood I was in or what look I felt like going for.

* Small eyeshadow palette. I brought a limited edition one from the MAC Temperature Rising collection that has a taupe shade, gold shade, dark brown shade, and olive green for a bit of color that would complement the clothes I was bringing.

* Mascara and Shu Uemura eyelash curler. I brought along a travel-size Urban Decay mascara, because you don't need a full-size tube for four days.

* Lip products. This is the part where I tend to overpack. I brought Kiehl's #1 lip balm in Pear, Revlon ColorStay Matte balm in Standout (red), a Maybelline ColorSensational Lip Polish in Glam 2 (pink with a hint of coral), a red Victoria's Secret lip gloss, and MAC Rebel lipstick. I picked different colors and finishes that could cater to my mood (okay, moods!). Five lippies in four days isn't bad, especially because I sometimes have that many in my bag on a daily basis!

A version of this story was published in my column in SunStar Cebu on Friday, 26 September 2014.