This post is long overdue, as I was always in a rush when I had enough natural light to take a product shot, or did not have enough sunlight...

Review and swatch: MAC Proenza Schouler collection - Mangrove lipstick

1:31 AM Joanna C. 0 Comments

This post is long overdue, as I was always in a rush when I had enough natural light to take a product shot, or did not have enough sunlight on the days I did have time because it was cloudy. The weather bureau says rainy season is officially here, and while we're getting rain more frequently, it's still hot and sunny on many days.

Anyway, enough with the "How's the weather?" chit-chat. I know this review is about a limited edition product so we may have to wait until MAC repromotes it, but I just have to share that I am so impressed with this lipstick.


It may be a while before I can afford anything from the actual Proenza Schouler line (one day, one day...), so I had to get just one thing from their collection for MAC. They've got this fun multicolor chrome-y thing going on with the packaging. I decided on Mangrove lipstick because it looked like the most unique color out of all the lipsticks that were part of this collection.

MAC Proenza Schouler lipstick in Mangrove

Mangrove is a bright red-orange matte. I really had to wait to get this product shot in natural light, because artificial light made it look too neon. It's still appearing slightly more neon in the photo; it's a little more red in real life.

Application is about the same as other MAC matte lipsticks - mostly smooth, though you have to press down a bit when running it over the lips. Mangrove is extremely pigmented, so I had to be careful when applying.

This is a bright color, so it may not be for you if you're not comfortable wearing bright lipstick. But for me this was the perfect kind of bright - a fun, vivid color, but not neon. My skin is NC25 but I think this is a great shade for many skin tones.

Lip swatch: MAC Proenza Schouler lipstick in Mangrove

This lip swatch was taken in artificial light, a good 8.5 hours after first application. Yup, eight and a half hours, including dinner and dessert and tea and a lot of talking. The color and edges had only slightly faded, and had not traveled outside of my lips even without lip liner. I'm kind of in awe at the staying power of this one. Although it is a bit drying because it's matte, my lips didn't feel uncomfortable and I went without lip balm for the entire time I wore it.

The color didn't quit until I washed it off, and most of it came off easily with my regular facial wash. Some color remained in some of my lip lines, so I washed off the last of it with mild soap.

If MAC ever repromotes this lipstick or if you still have the chance to get this shade, definitely try it if you're looking for a long-wearing, bright but still wearable shade.