Some of you may have read in my newspaper column last month that I've been curious about facial mists, but I wanted to wait until I fin...

Facial mist reviews: NuSkin, Mario Badescu, MAC Fix+, and Clinique

11:12 AM Joanna C. 1 Comments

Some of you may have read in my newspaper column last month that I've been curious about facial mists, but I wanted to wait until I finally got MAC Fix+ before I wrote a review about all the ones that I own.


NuSkin NaPCA moisture mist, Mario Badescu Facial Spray,
MAC Fix +, Clinique Moisture Surge Face Spray


I've had NaPCA by NuSkin the longest. (It's just pronounced as "napca" not N-A-P-C-A.) The bottle says: NaPCA Moisture Mist is a conditioning spray that supplies skin and hair with a quick surge of moisture. Packed with natural moisturizing ingredients like NaPCA, Hyaluronic Acid, and Urea, this oil-free formula helps maintain a constant moisture level in your skin while fighting the drying effects of the environment.

Hyaluronic acid is famed for moisture retention, and I think this mist is the best of the ones I own at adding moisture to the skin without feeling sticky. I use this in the summer especially after too much sun and I don't want to feel hot by applying moisturizer, and also in cooler months before bedtime.

This is in a 250ml bottle. I don't know how much it costs since it was given to me, but it's available from NuSkin sellers in Cebu.

Mario Badescu Facial Spray with Aloe, Herbs and Rosewater says on the bottle: Once you've tried our rejuvenating facial spray, you won't want to be without it. Use it to set makeup, soothe your skin in dehydrating conditions, or to give your skin a quick boost anytime, anywhere. It also says it's paraben free.

I bought this to freshen up at the office throughout the day, but I find it makes my skin feel stickier within the hour after application, which is the exact opposite of what I wanted it to do. Of all the facial mists I have, this one also has the strongest fragrance. But I like using this at night as the last step in my skin care routine and I seem to wake up with softer skin and no oiliness in the morning. (Yes, I still get a bit oily sometimes on the nose area even while asleep.) I got this 118ml bottle for P445 at Rustan's.

I've been after the MAC Fix+ spray for some time, but it kept getting sold out at the counter in Rustan's. Contrary to what some people call it, this is not a setting spray. The bottle says: A soothing moisture mist that refreshes the skin and finishes makeup. Hold bottle 12" away from face and spray evenly. Use before or after makeup. 

I feel this is better at making makeup look less cakey in its finishing capacity, but does not make makeup last longer. I like to use this after moisturizer and before primer just to add extra prep to the skin. I feel it makes my skin look and feel more supple. I have used it with some of my regular foundations and face powders and I feel my skin looks more natural after. My T-zone tends to start getting oily 3 hours after makeup but with this, the oiliness is held off for about 5 to 6 hours after makeup application.

I like that this has a lock in the cap so that it doesn't spray everywhere if you happen to be traveling, but of all my facial mists, I dislike this spray mechanism the most. It's a more concentrated spritz instead of a fine, even mist. I find I have to tap it on my skin after to help distribute the product. But, I love the effect the product gives me. I might just transfer this into one of the other bottles if any of the others run out.

I bought this 100ml bottle of Fix+ for P1,150 at NAIA Terminal 3 on my way home from Vietnam earlier this week. It's the newest in my collection but I am really enjoying it.

Clinique Moisture Surge Face Spray Thirsty Skin Relief to me seems like the most no-fuss spray. To me, it does not have as much moisturizing power as NaPCA, but I feel it still provides a boost of moisture.

Because of its size, I always bring this with me when I travel. In drier conditions or longer plane rides, I almost always get dry patches and/or a tight feeling on my cheeks, and this is so convenient for freshening up on the plane or when I'm out. I'm afraid I don't know how much this costs since this was given to me by Clinique.

I like using these face mists to amp up my skin care. If you're looking for a makeup setting spray, try the one by Urban Decay instead, which I find really locks makeup in place.